About Animal Control Services

Sandoval County’s Animal Control Ordinance is enforced by the Animal Control Division from the Sheriff’s Office.

There are two full-time animal control officers serving the unincorporated areas of Sandoval County. They work with residents to keep animal companions safe and protected within our community.

Animal Control Ordinance

The Sandoval County Animal Control Ordinance also requires all dogs and cats to have current vaccinations for rabies. If your pet bites a person or animal, it will require that your pet be quarantined for 10 days at your expense. As a pet owner you could civilly be liable for damages.

In 2002, the Sandoval County Commission enacted Ordinance 02-02-21.B, the Sandoval County Animal Control Ordinance. The Sheriff’s Office is continuously educating the residents of Sandoval County about the Animal Control Ordinance and New Mexico State Law.

Violations of the Sandoval County Animal Control Ordinance or State Law could result in the impoundment of animals, a misdemeanor citation or even arrest with fines up to $300. Copies of the Animal Control Ordinance may be obtained at the Sheriff’s Office or on this website.

For assistance regarding this ordinance, please contact the Sandoval County Communications Center at 505-891-7226 and an Animal Control Officer will be dispatched. In an emergency, call 911.

Reclaim Your Pet

All animals impounded by the Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Division are taken to the Sandoval County Holding Facility.

For animal control issues in rural, unincorporated areas of Sandoval County contact Dispatch at 505-891-7226.

If you live in the following municipalities call:

Click Here for Lost Pets Found by Sandoval County Animal Control
Frequently Asked Questions

What types of animals are covered by the Sandoval County Animal Control Ordinance?

At this time, the Sandoval County Animal Control Ordinance only applies to dogs and cats.

Will an animal control officer come out if I find a snake in my home or on my patio?

Sandoval County’s Animal Control Division will respond to snake calls in the unincorporated areas of the county. They will remove them and relocate snakes if caught.

For animal control, please contact Dispatch at 505-891-7226. Again, Sandoval County Animal Control only responds to calls in the rural, unincorporated areas of the county. If you reside within the boundaries of a municipality, such as Rio Rancho, Corrales, Bernalillo or Cuba, please contact their animal control services.

Where can I get a copy of the Animal Control Ordinance?

Sandoval County’s Animal Control Ordinance can be read, downloaded and shared online under our Codes and Ordinances link on the County homepage. For a direct link to the Animal Control Ordinance, Click Here.