Director, Planning & Zoning
What We Do
The Planning and Zoning Department processes zone changes, conditional uses, subdivisions and other activities regarding land use in the non-municipal and non-pueblo areas of the County for consideration by the Planning and Zoning Commission. The division also oversees addressing, which assigns street names and addresses. Sandoval County does not issue construction permit, but Planning and Zoning must approve State-issued permits to assure zoning compliance.
How We Serve You
Landowners also are encouraged to visit with the Planning and Zoning Department staff prior to considering development or subdivision of a property. This will ensure that the property has the appropriate zoning and that all rules and regulations are followed. The Planning and Zoning Department staff is available Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Their office is located at the Sandoval County Administrative Building, 2nd Floor, 1500 Idalia Road, Bernalillo, NM 87004.
An address is assigned as part of the building permit process. Once the building permit packet is accepted (see building permit checklist) an E911 Address is assigned to your vacant property (see addressing ordinance) and utilities will be authorized. You will need to have the Assessor’s Office Worksheet included with the verified property tax UPC number. If you are on tribal land you will need to contact your tribal entity for addressing. The Planning and Zoning Department does not address tribal land.
Addresses, once assigned, are entered into the E911 database so your location will be available for first responders in the Fire Department and Sheriff’s Department.
Commercial & Industrial Development Review
The Sandoval County Commercial/Industrial Development Review Committee (C/IDRC) is the administrative reviewing body for fast-track review of proposed commercial and industrial projects (including public utility projects requiring Special Use zoning) within the County’s planning and zoning jurisdiction. The C/IDRC review procedure is coordinated through the County’s Planning and Zoning Division. The Sandoval County C/IDRC is comprised of staff from the Economic Development, Fire, Planning and Zoning, and Public Works divisions. Learn about the review procedures for this committee by clicking on the link below:
Planning & Zoning Commission
Notice: Pursuant to Sandoval County Planning & Zoning Commission Rules, Regulations and Procedures (Doc 25951)
– All documents and other tangible materials, excluding materials used only for demonstrative purposes at the hearing to facilitate witness testimony, should be submitted at least seventy-two (72) hours prior to the hearing or meeting of the Planning & Zoning Commission.”
- Planning & Zoning Commissioners
- 2018 P & Z Commission Meeting Dates
- Meeting Agendas
- Meeting Archive
- Rules, Regulations, Procedures & Resolutions Governing the Planning & Zoning Commission
- 2018 Planning & Zoning Commission Open Meeting Act and Rules of Procedure Resolution
- Planning & Zoning Commission Rules, Regulations and Procedures
- Ordinance 10-1-21.9F – Prescribing the Powers, Duties and Organization of the Planning & Zoning Commission
- Resolution 10-16-03.11D – Resolution Relating to the Timely Submission of Documents and Materials
- Upcoming Cases
- Legal Notices