Mike Galizio
Planning & Zoning Director
Phone: 505-867-7617
Email: mgalizio@sandovalcountynm.gov

Contact Us

For Zoning and Permit Information:
Phone: 505-867-7656
Email: mhill@sandovalcountynm.gov

For Drainage, Floodplain, Grading, and Subdivision Information:
Phone: 505-867-7616
Email: dxgomez@sandovalcountynm.gov

For Addressing and Utility Authorizations:
Phone: 505-404-5897
Email: gpals@sandovalcountynm.gov

To Report Code Violations and Public Nuisances:
Phone: 505-867-7628
Email: pz@sandovalcountynm.gov

For Other Information:
Phone: 505-867-7628
Email: pz@sandovalcountynm.gov

Hours of Operation - Department Availability
Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm

What We Do

The Planning and Zoning Department processes zone changes, conditional uses, variances, text amendments, subdivisions and other activities regarding land use in the unincorporated areas of the County for consideration by the Planning and Zoning Commission/Board of County Commission. The department also oversees addressing, which assigns street names and addresses. Note that Sandoval County (SC) does not issue building permits for construction but does process State of NM Construction Industries Division (CID) and Manufactured Housing Division (MHD) permit applications for the unincorporated areas to verify compliance with SC Ordinances and Regulations.

How We Serve You

Landowners also are encouraged to visit with the Planning and Zoning Department staff prior to considering development or subdivision of a property. This will ensure that the property has the appropriate zoning and that all rules and regulations are followed. Because of the Governor’s Orders, there are no in person meetings at this time but interested parties can call or can request a WebEx meeting be set up. Contact Makita Hill at 505-867-7656 for details.

Building Permits

Building permits for construction in unincorporated areas of Sandoval County are issued through the State of New Mexico’s Construction Industries Division (CID). First a submittal must be made to Sandoval County P&Z for zoning compliance to ensure all regulations and requirements of the Zoning Ordinance are fulfilled. Once the zoning compliance has been processed through Sandoval County P&Z, then you can submit that application to the State (CID) to complete the permitting process permit.

State Homeowner Building Permit Application (PDF)
State Multi-Purpose Building Permit Application (PDF)
Zoning Compliance Checklist:


An address is assigned as part of the review process for compliance with county regulations. Once the zoning compliance application is approved and you have had your property UPC number verified by the County Assessor’s Office, an address is assigned to your vacant property and utilities will be authorized. If you are on tribal land you will need to contact your tribal entity for addressing. The Planning and Zoning Department does not address tribal land.

Addressing Ordinance:
Addressing Information Sheet:

Code Enforcement

The objective of Sandoval County Code Enforcement is to work with and serve the residents of Sandoval County and promote a safe and healthy living and working environment for our residents, businesses, and visitors. Code Compliance maintains and improves the quality of our community through the administration of a fair and unbiased enforcement program.

All complaints can be filed on line or through the mobile app (see below). Once a complaint is filed and validated, the county’s Code Enforcement Official will schedule a site visit at which time photos will be taken and documentation of the complaint shall be noted. If the Code Enforcement Official determines there is a violation, a Notice of Violation (“NOV”) is sent to the property owner/occupant by certified mail. Note that under certain circumstances and as allowed by the Zoning Ordinance, a sign may be posted at the subject site in place of mailed NOV. The owner/occupant must remedy/address the violation within the allotted time noted on the latest NOV. An additional NOV may be sent. If the violation is not addressed adequately and in a timely manner, a complaint will be filed with the Magistrate Court or a $300 fine will be imposed per the Zoning Ordinance. If the fine is not paid in the allotted time period, a lien may be placed on the property.

If you would like to make a complaint you can use our Code Enforcement Complaint Form or through the Mobile App

Or if you have questions, please contact Cat Martinez or Anita Apodaca
Phone 505-867-7628
Planning & Zoning Department
Sandoval County Administration
Building “D” 2nd floor
Bernalillo NM, 87004

Commercial & Industrial Development Review

The Sandoval County Commercial/Industrial Development Review Committee (C/IDRC) is the administrative reviewing body for fast-track review of proposed commercial and industrial projects (including public utility projects requiring Special Use zoning) within the County’s planning and zoning jurisdiction. The C/IDRC review procedure is coordinated through the County’s Planning and Zoning Division. The Sandoval County C/IDRC is comprised of staff from the Economic Development, Fire, Planning and Zoning, and Public Works divisions. Learn about the review procedures for this committee by clicking on the link below:

Floodplain Management

If you have questions concerning floodplain issues in the unincorporated area of the County or in the Village of Jemez Springs, please contact Diego Gomez at 505-867-7616 or email dxgomez@sandoval countynm.gov

Zoning Clearance Letter for Business Registration

Business registration forms are located on the Economic Development web page, under Business Resources. If you are registering your business in a location within Sandoval County, you will need a Zoning Clearance Letter from the Planning and Zoning Department. This letter certifies that your property is properly zoned for your business, or will certify that a change of zoning on your property is needed to accommodate the business you would like to have. The County’s zoning allows most home-based business without a required change of zoning. For more information, please contact Makita Hill, Senior Planner, at the Planning and Zoning Department, (505) 867-7656, or mhill@sandovalcountynm.gov.

P & Z Commission

Case #ZNCH-22-004 has been cancelled for the Planning & Zoning meeting on Tuesday, February 21. Read Notice.
Case #ZNCH-23-001 will be discussed at the County Commission Meeting on Wednesday, February 22, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. Read Notice.

Notice: Pursuant to Sandoval County Planning & Zoning Commission Rules, Regulations and Procedures (Doc 25951)
– All documents and other tangible materials, excluding materials used only for demonstrative purposes at the hearing to facilitate witness testimony, should be submitted at least seventy-two (72) hours prior to the hearing or meeting of the Planning & Zoning Commission.”

The Sandoval County Planning & Zoning Commission has a meeting scheduled in the Commission Chambers for:
Tuesday, April 25, 2023 @ 4:30 PM

Meeting Cancellations
  • The Planning & Zoning Commission meeting for March 21, 2023 has been cancelled. Read Notice.
  • The Planning & Zoning Commission meeting for February 21, 2023 has been cancelled. Read Notice.