Laura M. Montoya
Sandoval County Treasurer
2nd Term, Elected November 2016
Term January 2017 – December 2020
Next Election for this seat is November 2020
Treasurer’s Office Location:
1500 Idalia Road, Building D
Bernalillo, NM 87004
We are located on the first floor
The Treasurer’s Office is open for extended hours due to Tax Season Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The north entrance doors are locked but can be opened by dialing 505-867-7579. A temperature is required upon entrance and all residents are expected to wear masks.
Toll Free: 1-800-332-8022
METHODS TO PAY PROPERTY TAX
- Drop box located at the North end of the administrative building 1500 Idalia Rd Building D Bernalillo, NM 87004
- Pay by mail at:
P. O. Box 27139
Albuquerque, NM 87125
- Drop box or mailed payments must be made by check or money order. Please include your coupon or account number.
- By phone at 1-866-873-0944 (English & Spanish)
- Online at: paytaxes
- Payments made using Credit Cards/Debit Cards or Checking Account Transfer utilizing the automated services will be assessed a convenience fee (online payments must be more than $10.00)
Sandoval County Treasurer Laura Montoya has been re-appointed to the National Leadership Position on Finance, Pensions and Intergovernmental Affairs. Click here to read more
What We Do
PROTECT: The Treasurer’s Office accounts for and protects $39 million in non-property tax revenue, $131.6 million in property tax revenue and $37.3 million in investments.
COLLECT: The 10 year collection rate is 99.38% on over $1.163 billion that the Treasurer is charged to collect. The 2019 Tax Roll comprised $131.6 million of that total.
INVEST: Safety is our priority when it comes to your investments;
then Liquidity; and then Yield. During the 2019 Legislative Session, we got a bill passed to add additional investment tools. This, along with our banking relationship, allowed us to diversify our portfolio and for our investments to continue to earn interest. Your investments are in compliance with state statute and the Sandoval County Investment Policy.
DISTRIBUTE: Thank you for making your property tax payment. Your tax dollars are distributed to support the following county programs:
• DWI • Fire & 911 Services • HCAP • Libraries • Public Safety • Senior Programs • Roads & Infrastructure • Landfill • Detention Center
We also distribute your tax dollars on a monthly basis to:
• Schools & Libraries • Municipalities • Water Conservancy • State of New Mexico • Special Districts
REPORT: STO is required to file and distribute the Treasurer’s Report on a monthly basis. This report verifies all monies that flow through Sandoval County.
We utilize our records to complete the annual audit in collaboration with administration. The Treasurer’s Office has had a clean audit for the past two years
How We Serve You
The Treasurer’s Office serves the residents of Sandoval County in many ways and always works to provide the highest quality customers service. We’re here to assist you in the following ways:
- Answer your property tax questions
- Offer a Statement of Taxes Due if you did not receive your tax bill
- Inform taxpayers of any exemptions they may qualify for
- Provide outreach at community and senior centers through the county
- Present services in English and Spanish
- Accept and receive tax payments by cash, check, money order, debit card or credit card (convenience fee applies to debit and credit card payments)
What Do My Tax Dollars Pay For?
Pay Your Property Taxes
Property taxes may be paid in person, by mail, through mortgage companies, at a drop box located in the North parking lot of the County Administration Building, and New Mexico Bank & Trust Branches in Rio Rancho, online or over the phone. The Treasurer’s tax researchers, as well as the phone service, are accessible in English and Spanish.
The Sandoval County Treasurer’s Office works on a tax calendar instead of a standard yearly calendar. Here are some important dates to remember:
- November 1 – Tax bills are mailed
- November 10 though December 10 – First half taxes are due
- April 10 through May 10 – Second half taxes are due
*Office hours are extended during tax season from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.