Citizens Fire Academy Application & Fact Sheet
Would you like to have an in-depth understanding of how a fire department operates?
Sandoval County Fire and Rescue Citizens Fire Academy is designed to increase understanding of fire and emergency medical operations and to promote citizen interaction with Sandoval County Fire and Rescue personnel. The program will enhance awareness of the department’s capabilities and limitations; develop realistic expectations of response times from point of dispatch; develop cooperative relationships between firefighters and the citizens of Sandoval County and encourage participants to become more aware of the dangers of fire and benefits of fire prevention.
Citizens must be at least 18 years-of-age and live in Sandoval County (Municipalities and Pueblos included) in order to qualify for participation. All applicants must submit to a background check and must sign a waiver releasing Sandoval County of all liabilities while participating in the Academy. There is no charge to participants, however, there will be an opportunity to purchase a Citizens Fire Academy T-Shirt, Hat, and Coffee Mug.
Topics included in the Citizens Fire Academy:
- Sandoval County Fire and Rescue History/Introductions
- Community Risk Reduction, Fire Prevention: Inspection/Public Education & Fire Investigations
- Dispatch (911) and Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- SCBA-Search and Rescue
- Heavy Rescue/Hazardous Materials
- Vehicle Extrication
- Fire Extinguisher Training
- Hose Evolutions
- Simulated Fire Evolutions