The Chaplaincy Program must operate under the following constitutional guidelines:
- The Chaplaincy Program will operate in a non-denominational setting, as stated in the case of Lemon vs. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602 (1971).
- To be compliant, the Program must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The Program must reflect a clearly secular legislative purpose.
- The primary effect of the Program must neither advance nor inhibit religion.
- The Program must not result in the “excessive entanglement” of government with religion.