
From left: La Cónsul de México en Albuquerque, Patricia Pinzón, Special Agent in Charge Justin A. Garris of the Albuquerque FBI Field Office, Sandoval County Sheriff Jesse James Casaus, and Sandoval County Manager Wayne Johnson.
This unsolved suspicious death case moves forward:
Woman has been identified as Mexican National Victoria De La Rosa
Bernalillo, NM, May 20, 2026: The Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office, in conjunction with the Albuquerque Office of the FBI and the Consulate of Mexico in Albuquerque, held a press conference today to share progress in an unsolved suspicious homicide and to again ask the public’s help in a continued effort to learn more about Sandoval Star. Sandoval Star was brought to the public’s attention last year by the Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office as an unsolved suspicious death cold case. She has now been identified as Mexican National Victoria De La Rosa.
At the press conference, remarks shared by Sheriff Jesse James Casaus included that “Sandoval Star became a member of the Sandoval County community the day she was discovered in Cibola Forest by Placitas residents walking along Rt.165 on April 18, 2023. Last April, we requested the public’s assistance in identifying her, and together with your help and that of the other governments and law enforcement agencies, we can share that progress has been made. Our goal now is to update the public on the details of this investigation and ask again for information about her. Our commitment is unwavering: to bring closure to her family, justice to her, and to identify and charge the person responsible for her death.”
Detective Donald Chewning of the Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office, who is the lead on this investigation, provided additional information about Victoria De La Rosa. According to Detective Chewning, Sandoval Star, born Maria Hernandez-De La Rosa, was also known as Victoria De La Rosa and Lupe Hernandez. She lived in this area from 2019 to her time of death in 2023, residing here with her husband and two children. It was reported that she worked at Garcia’s Kitchen on Central Avenue in Albuquerque and the Mas Café & Bakery in Los Ranchos.
Detective Chewning reiterated that “No bit of information is too small or insignificant—please call our tip lines and share whatever details you may know regarding her or her family, so that we can bring justice to her. To strengthen our investigation, we continue to partner with the Albuquerque Office of the FBI and the Mexican Consulate,” Chewning stated.

FROM THE SUPPORTING AGENCIES
“The FBI remains committed to our partners and our communities. We are determined to find who committed this crime and bring closure to Maria’s family,” said Special Agent in Charge Justin A. Garris of the Albuquerque FBI Field Office. “She has a family who loves her and misses her every day. Any information regarding this case is important, regardless of how insignificant you may think the information is. Someone in the community has answers or information that will help solve this case.”
Patricia Pinzón, Consul of Mexico in Albuquerque, said, “The Consulate of Mexico in Albuquerque reaffirms its commitment to providing assistance and protection to Mexican nationals who are victims of crime, as well as to their families, regardless of their immigration status. In close coordination with authorities at all levels of government, we work to ensure comprehensive and timely support, always with full respect for the dignity of every individual.”
HOW YOU CAN HELP
There is a dedicated tip line in the Sheriff’s Office for Unsolved Cases. The phone number is 505-867-7350. All messages will be returned. Also, messages and comments can be left on Sandoval County Unsolved Cases (facebook.com/sandovalunsolved). In addition, information can be shared on the FBI tip line: 1-800-CALL FBI, there, Spanish-speaking agents can assist you. Updates about the case will be featured on (www.sandovalcountynm.gov/scso) from current information from the Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI, and other agencies.






















