Special Shopping Hours to Accommodate Seniors and Those Most Vulnerable
Many corporate and local grocery stores have adjusted their hours, typically opening early, to allow these individuals to beat the crowds and reduce their risk of exposure, as the virus is more dangerous to the elderly and immunocompromised, and many essential items have been difficult for seniors to find. The early hours have the additional benefit of allowing seniors to shop while shelves are well stocked.
Participating stores include:
- Smith’s locations – throughout New Mexico – Opening early on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM, for 60 years of age and older, including waiving pick up fees for seniors.
- Walmart locations – throughout New Mexico – Beginning on March 24 through April 28, Tuesdays (only) stores will open one hour early, for those 60 years of age or older.
- Target locations – throughout New Mexico – Wednesdays (only) stores will open one hour early, for those individuals who are elderly or have underlying health conditions.
- Farmers Country Market – Roswell and Portales -- Opening early, from 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM every day (except Sundays for Roswell locations), for seniors ages 60 years of age and older.
- La Tienda Thriftway – Carlsbad – Opening early, from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM every day, for seniors.
- Fenn’s Country Market – Artesia – Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (only), opening from 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM, for seniors.
- John Brooks Supermarkets – various locations throughout New Mexico – varies by store, but many including Albuquerque Candelaria location and Santa Fe market to open early on Sundays to serve seniors. Call your local market for details.
- Dollar General – various New Mexico locations -- Opening one hour early every day, for seniors.
- Whole Foods locations – throughout New Mexico – Opening one hour early every day, for those 60 years of age and older.
- Albertson’s and Safeway Markets – throughout New Mexico – Mondays and Thursdays (only), opening from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM, for seniors and at-risk populations.
- Big Lots – throughout New Mexico – Reserving first hour of every day for seniors and those most vulnerable to COVID-19 virus.
Source: State of New Mexico Aging & Long-Term Services