P.O. Box 40
1500 Idalia Rd, Building D, Bernalillo, NM 87004
Phone: (505) 867-7577
Fax: (505) 867-7638
2022 Primary Election – Office hours:
Open: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
District Maps (effective 01/01/2023)
Primary Election Sample Ballots
2022 Notices and Resolutions
2022 Polling Locations
2022 Primary Election Contest/Candidate List
2022 Primary Election Candidate Information
2022 Primary Election Overview
The Primary Election will be held on Tuesday, June 7, 2022.
When to File
TUESDAY, MARCH 8, 2022 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Candidate filing day for all other individuals and those who did not receive preprimary designation for the 2022 Primary Election – and First Filing Opportunity for Candidates that failed to received party designation.
Where to File – Proper Filing Officer
Declarations of candidacy and candidate qualification documents by any candidate for statewide or federal office – will file with the Secretary of State.
Declarations of candidacy and candidate qualification documents by all other candidates – will file with the county clerk of the county in which the candidate resides.
What to File
Each Candidate filing to appear on the Primary Election ballot must submit a Declaration of Candidacy (and any other required forms) to their proper filing officer (see above section “Where to File – Proper Filing Officer”), during the designated hours.
- Declarations of Candidacy for any other office to be nominated in the primary election shall be filed with the county clerk in which the candidate resides (except for federal and statewide offices), between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Refer to Section 1-8-26 (B), NMSA 1978.
- Filling Fees for County Candidates: The filing fee in the primary election for any county office shall be fifty dollars ($50.00), which shall be paid at the time of the filing of the declaration of candidacy for nomination by a political party. Refer to Section 1-8-41, NMSA 1978.
- Declarations of Candidacy and additional nominating petitions for candidates that failed to receive party designation shall be filed with the secretary of state either ten (10) days following the date of the preprimary convention at which the candidate failed to receive the designation, or on the date all declarations of candidacy and nominating petitions are due pursuant to the provisions of the Primary Election Law, whichever is later. A candidate who fails to receive the preprimary convention designation that the candidate sought may collect additional signatures to total at least four percent (4%) of the total vote of the candidate’s party in the state. Refer to Section 1-8-33 (D), NMSA 1978.
Candidate Filing Forms
View forms on the Secretary of State Candidate Information page.
Tuesday, March 15, 2022 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
March 15, 2022: FILING DAY FOR WRITE-IN CANDIDATES AND FINAL FILING OPPORTUNITY FOR PREPRIMARY CONVENTION CANDIDATES THAT RECEIVED PARTY DESIGNATION
- Write-in candidates are permitted in the primary election only for the offices of United States representative, members of the legislature, district judges, district attorneys, public education commission, magistrates and any office voted upon by all voters of the state. Refer to Section 1-8-36.1 (A), NMSA 1978.
- A person desiring to be a write-in candidate for one of the offices listed in Subsection A of 1-8- 36.1, NMSA 1978 in the primary election, shall file with the proper filing officer a declaration of intent to be a write-in candidate. Such declaration of intent shall be filed between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Refer to Section 1-8-36.1 (C), NMSA 1978.
- Primary Election write-in candidates are not required to file Nominating Petitions.
- Certification of candidates that received party designation shall take place no later than 5:00 p.m. on the first Tuesday succeeding the state convention.
Financial Disclosure Statements
- Financial Disclosures Statements (FDS): A candidate for legislative or statewide office who has not already filed a financial disclosure statement with the secretary of state in the same calendar year shall file a financial disclosure statement at the time of filing a declaration of candidacy. Financial disclosure statements must be filed online, using the Campaign Finance Information System: https://login.cfis.sos.state.nm.us/#/index. Pursuant to Section 10-16A2(H) NMSA 1978, candidate for legislative or statewide offices who does not file a FDS before the date for qualification of the person as a candidate shall be disqualified by the proper filing officer as a candidate.
All current, sitting elected officials have already filed a financial disclosure statement for 2022 and must bring a copy with them to file as part of their required paperwork on candidate filing day.
If you are a new candidate for legislative or statewide office, you must complete a financial disclosure statement before candidate filing day and then bring a copy with you when you file.
Financial disclosure filings must be completed online through the Secretary of State’s Campaign Finance Information System (CFIS)
2022 Primary Election Proclamation (PDFs):
Resources for individuals interested in becoming a Candidate can be found on the Secretary of State’s Website:
2022 General Election
The General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2022.
FIND MY REGISTRATION AND ELECTION INFORMATION
City of Rio Rancho – 2022 Runoff Election
(Click below for additional information)
• April 12, 2022 Runoff Election
Municipal Officer Election (MOE) – March 1, 2022 – Unofficial Results
(Click on Municipality to view unofficial results)
2021 Regular Local Election Results
- Regular Local Election Official Results
Regular Local Election was held on November 2, 2021