About the Council
On November 8, 2018, The Sandoval County Board of County Commissioners passed Resolution No. 11-08-18 and its associated Bylaws establishing The Sandoval County Free Roaming Horse Advisory Council (“Council”) in an effort to more effectively address the issue of the Free Roaming Horses of Placitas.
Apply for the District 2 Council Seat
Sandoval County is still accepting application packets for citizen representatives for District 2’s seat on the Horse Advisory Council. If you wish to apply, you may do so by:
1. Submitting a Letter of Interest (LoI) and Resume to email@example.com Please ensure that your LoI is limited to not more than two pages and includes why you want to participate in such a Council, along with your vision of success for the Council’s mission of developing humane, legal, and sustainable long-term solutions for the area’s Free Roaming Horses.
2. And answering five questions contained here Please ensure that each answer is comprehensive but concise and averages not more than 250 words.
2019 Meeting Schedule
The Horse Advisory Council will meet quarterly for calendar year 2019. All meetings will be held in the Old County Commission Chambers located at 711 Camino Del Pueblo, Bernalillo, NM, 87004.
- Wednesday, Jan. 9 – 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 10 – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 10 – 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 9 – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Meetings & Agendas
Should you wish to be added to an Interested Parties listserv for e-notices of Council meetings and related information, please click on the button below to provide your name and email address so you can opt-in.
Should you wish to offer constructive feedback to the Council, or provide them with useful information, please send an email to: RoamingHorses@sandovalcountynm.gov.
In an effort to ensure public safety for those driving in the Placitas area, the Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office is increasing traffic enforcement activities in certain portions of Placitas, and is asking for the public’s assistance to identify locations where the free-roaming horses frequent the roadway. If you have information on this, please email the place, time and location of the roadway sighting, along with the number of horses seen, to the Sandoval County Sheriff’s Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org