The Sandoval County Fire Department is offering a unique opportunity to college students pursuing a degree in Fire Science or Emergency Medical Services: a chance to live and work alongside veteran firefighters and EMTs while completing their education.
The department is now accepting applications for the first class of the Sandoval County Fire Residency Program. The program is slated to begin this fall, at roughly the same time local colleges begin classes.
The department is looking for three individuals who are willing to live for up to two years in a dormitory-style room in the departments newest fire station on Santa Ana Pueblo. The students will live in the station rent free, but they will be expected to commit themselves to several shifts per month alongside full-time firefighters.
Program participants also would be expected to maintain their regular class schedules and fulfill requirements for their degrees.
This program is perfect for people who are seeking a career in firefighting or emergency services and need to obtain their training, education, and experience, Sandoval County Fire Chief James Maxon said. After the completion of our program, they will be highly qualified to work in the fire or emergency medical services anywhere in the country.
Minimum requirements for the program are as follows:
Must be at least 18 years of age upon appointment
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must possess and maintain a New Mexico Class E Drivers License, or be capable of obtaining one upon appointment.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of a firefighter/EMT.
- Must be enrolled in a college Fire Science or EMS degree program that is approved by the Fire Chief and maintain 12 minimum credits per semester and a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Must pass the Sandoval County Fire Department Physical Abilities Test.
The application deadline is August 1, 2013. Interested students can get more information, and an application, by coming to the Sandoval County Fire Department Headquarters, at 314 Melissa Road, in Bernalillo, or calling 5050-867-0245